Sunday, April 24, 2011

Writing and Harry Potter Fan Fiction

This blog was mostly inspired by these songs: Cold by Crossfade, Pretty Girl by Sugarcult, Protecting Me by Aly and A.J, Perfect Enemy by TaTu and Get Over It by Avril Lavigne

Writing didn’t always come easily to me. After years of trying to get me to write my mom enrolled me in Mrs. Holly’s writing class. It was in that class that I learned the joy of writing. Mrs. Holly’s class taught me how to enjoy writing but it was one of my best friends in San Jose, Mikayla that showed me HPFF, Harry Potter Fan Fiction. Mikayla had showed me HPFF before the Mrs. Holly’s class and I was hooked instantly.
Now I write stories on HPFF instead of just reading them. Mikayla is also an author on HPFF (her name on HPFF is HerbologyGirl ) so she was able to help get me started writing and I am forever indebted to her for it. Writing is my way of relaxing, just like how my mom’s way of relaxing is sitting by the ocean, and now that I can write and have my stories critiqued by people who I don’t know. Having people I don’t know read my stories is amazing because they won’t feel obligated to tell me it’s good if it’s not, enabling me to get good feed back (no offense intended to those friends who have read my stories). About 31, 522 authors on the site critiquing and posting to their hearts content.
Another great thing about HPFF is that the site is completely devoted to Harry Potter. No stories are posted on the site that aren’t related, though there are some writers that do cross stories (example: Twilight/Harry Potter) but most of them are just pure Harry Potter Fan-Fiction. Of course, sometimes authors change the story, making Hermione fall in love with Draco instead of Ron or having The Dark Lord kill Harry Potter (which changes everything) and there are also lots of stories about the Marauders (those always make me sad, considering everyone of them die in the books) or the Next Generation by writing about James Sirius Potter II, Albus Severus Potter, Lily Luna Potter and the other Golden Trio’s kids.
You can see, there are plenty of types of stories, and there are some absolutely hilarious stories! I cannot resist giving some names such as, Our Little Secret, Things Haven’t Changed and A Lifetime of – What? NO! and those are just a few of my favorites. Not all of the stories are humorous, some authors are so good at sad stories that they make me cry (example: I’ll Tell Him… Tomorrow). HPFF has many different kinds of stories posted and some the of the authors have gone on the become published authors!
The two stories I am writing right now are called Help me Rose, I’m all alone and I Will Fight (waiting to be validated). Help me Rose, I’m all alone is about Percy Weasley and Penelopy Clearwater Weasley’s second daughter, Lucy. Lucy’s parents and older sister Molly are very stuck up and none of the other Weasley’s like them. Lucy always followed in Molly’s shadow and this is the story of how she breaks free and discovers herself. I Will Fight is about a vampire/witch (yes I know its original) that starts Hogwarts in fourth year with the Marauders and Lily Evans-then-Potter. She’s already condemned herself to being friendless for eternity before school starts. Lily however (and later Sirius Black) want to change that, and make her see that although she can live forever that doesn’t mean she has to be alone. I have thousands of other stories wrapped up in my mind just waiting to be typed but I’m trying to convince myself that three is enough for now. It’s only sort of working.
I am forever grateful to Jay for creating HPFF and hope that the site is around for people like me for a long time, if not forever. HPFF is one of the things I’m most grateful which sounds silly but it’s true. It’s saving me from becoming an angry teenager with pent up emotions inside, which I’m sure pleases my mom and dad immensely. I hope that at least one person enjoys my stories as much as I enjoyed writing them.

He ate and drank the precious words,
His spirit grew robust;
He knew no more the he was poor,
Nor that his frame was dust.
He danced along the dingy days,
And this bequest of wings
Was but a book. What liberty
A loosened spirit brings!
~Emily Dickinson

4 comments:

  1. I love the way this assignment has become about self-expression for many of you! What you say in your last paragraph is so true Megan. Writing is an amazing way to release emotions; it's also an amazing way to process them. I think so much of what makes us human are the stories we weave. I'm so happy you've found HPFF and that it brings you such satisfaction. I noticed there weren't any links to your stories (hint, hint), but if you're ever willing, I'd love to read them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow that was awesome now I get why you suggested I make my post be more "me". yours was so you! the only thing i suggest is adding a space between a few of your paragraphs before you indent. overall this was amazing!
    P.S. I CANT BELEIVE KATNISS KILLED COIN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. As always, your writing is so solid that I would need a sledgehammer to break it apart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would really like to know more about the creative process of fan fiction. What inspires you to write a given story? How do you see through existing characters, and, if you invent your own characters, what inspires them? Do you generally prefer to reinterpret existing material or to build upon it? Also, what makes fan fiction specifically enjoyable for you, compared to other kinds of writing?
    On a different note, the two stories you describe sound absolutely fascinating, especially "I Will Fight," and I think I speak on behalf of the entire class when I say that we would really like to read them.

    ReplyDelete