Friday, April 8, 2011

Fallacies


        Fallacies are ‘a misconception resulting from incorrect reasoning’ say’s Google dictionary. Most kids don’t know what fallacies are. Most companies use persuasive advertisements so that people will buy their stuff and within the advertisements are fallacies.  I think fallacies should be taught in public schools because they (as in the fallacies) help kids not only understand propaganda techniques but recognize them as well.


One fallacy is called ‘poisoning the well’, more commonly known as name calling. An example of ‘poisoning the well’ is one man calling another (we can call him George) a thief before giving George time to speak. Another fallacy is called ‘testimonial’. A testimonial fallacy would sound something like this, “Dolly Parton is voting for (insert name) and she think (insert name again) would make a great (insert government occupation) so you should vote for (insert name) to!”. I could go on and on about different fallacies but I won’t, it would be boring. Besides, if you are truly interested you can just Google it. There are so many different fallacies it’s hard to remember them all when you see an ad and wonder if any of the things said in it is true or what tricks are they using to get you to buy what they are selling.


I think that’s it’s important for people to learn about fallacies so that the people in this country don’t fall prey to turning into sheep, my term for people who do something just because everybody else is doing it. My friends were always badgering me to get a FaceBook but I never did because, one my mother wouldn’t let me and two, because I didn’t really want one so what was the point? Just to have one because everybody else did? I, for one, do not want to be a sheep, ever. They kept saying, did you ask yet? Did your mom say yes? When are you getting one? They just wanted to be able to talk to me on FaceBook but they used (not on purpose) a fallacy. Glittering Generality they call it, telling only the glamorous things about FaceBook (“When you get one you’ll know all the latest stuff about Willa and Cole!” and not the ugly thing (but in their defense the ugly stuff didn’t happen to them). All the ugly comments, the swearing and all the other stuff that goes on that site. I’m not against FaceBook, it’s just not the thing for me. Well, long story short, if kids, or people in general, learn about fallacies then they will be able to logically think about whether what they are hearing is true or not. Confusing I know, but that’s just it. The truth is hard to find.  


Even if teachers in the public schools taught students about fallacies and when they were adults the kids didn’t remember fallacies, but at least they had the chance! I know some kids don’t care about school and learning but just because some through away their education doesn’t mean to have to ruin the other kid’s! All kids should have a shot at learning logic and to become smarter then the advertisers. So have a little faith, and teach kids about fallacies.


I hope now you know a little more about fallacies and that you agree with me that kids in public schools should be taught about them. I know that most people, even if they remember what a fallacy is, probably won’t memorize the different fallacies but as long as they know some of them that is a lot better then many people. And because they know about fallacies they won’t fall prey to the advertiser’s tricks to convince them to buy whatever they are selling, be it car insurance or a new microwave. And last but not least, before you can outsmart the advertisers you have to learn about their tricks, their fallacies. So hurry up and start teaching kids about fallacies! It’s not like they are going to think to themselves ‘ Hmm, I wonder what a fallacy is?’ because they don’t even know what a fallacy is. Kids will learn if they are just given the tools to do so. My conclusion is that kids should learn about fallacies in public school because it will help them later in life.

5 comments:

  1. Yes, first to comment! I like how you explain the fallacies for people to understand. The only thing that I would change, is that you should add a paragraph on what would be the disadvantages to teaching fallacies in school, and then a rebuttal paragraph. Otherwise, it was a really great post! your thesis is strong, and you have good topic sentances, so score for you! great post, and I am sooooooo happy that I was first to comment!!!!!
    Charlotte :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your example here about FB and the way you acknowledge that teaching logic won't guarantee that all kids will master it. I do think your structure could be a bit more focused here though. I'd like to see a more developed introduction that indicates not just your thesis, but how you'll be supporting that thesis. Indicating organization like this allows the reader to better understand where they're going and why as they read. Focused, argumentative topic sentences that really control the content of the paragraph also help with this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post! i really liked when you talked about FB. the only thing for me is that it didn't seem strong (i don't know how to explain it) like maybe it was the structure sorry i don't know maybe ill try and explain it tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! i found this post very inspiring the only things are its lacking a little in structure and i think the first paragraph might have been able to be split in two. Other than that great post! (lol willa and cole)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some of your paragraphs are a bit on the large side, and you could tighten your topic sentences somewhat, but I like your creativity in coming up with a bunch of stuff that none of the rest of us thought of.

    ReplyDelete